Pesto Alla Genovese
A simple delicious recipe.
This authentic pesto alla Genovese recipe is my favorite summer dish. (Although you can eat it all year round). It is super simple to make and a huge hit with my kids. (even though it is green which has always been a mystery to me.)
At my house, everyone knows I have a brown thumb but for some reason, me and basil are BFFs. Every summer my basil plants grow like crazy! I just LOVE the smell when I pull the leaves from the plants.
Skill: Super EASY!
- 4 oz fresh basil leaves
- 1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 5 tbsp pinenuts
- 2-3 cloves of garlic depending on size of cloves
- 2-3 pinches coarse salt
Always use Parmigiano Reggiano
Go easy on the garlic. It is important to taste all of the ingredients
Try to buy basil with thin long leaves.
NEVER heat up the sauce before tossing it on the pasta.
Place several spoons full in a large bowl and toss pasta once it is finished. You can add more pesto as needed.
I hope you enjoy this simple authentic pesto alla Genovese Recipe. Buon Appetito!
1. Try not to wash the basil if possible. If it is necessary wipe with a paper towel or quickly rinse but be very gentle. Here is a link on how to wash basil if you need to:
2. Place pinenuts in a skillet and toast quickly ( 1-2 minutes tossing frequently) until they are lightly golden. Make sure they don’t burn. Remove from pan to cool.
3. Place garlic in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped.
4. Add basil leaves and a pinch of corse salt. and process for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl and process again for 15 seconds.
5. Add the cooled pine nuts and blend 30 seconds.
6. Add the Parmigiano Reggiano and blend until you have a nice paste.
7. Leave processor running and slowly drizzle in the EVOO.